Vitamin C or ascorbic acid has a lot of benefits for health. It is a compound to form collagen (essential protein needed to develop skin tissue, bone, joints, etc.). The content of vitamin C is widely available in fruits such as oranges and other foods. According to some studies, it can also be used to lower cholesterol.
To learn more about the benefits and functions of vitamin C, you can pay attention to the following explanation:
- With the appropriate dose, it will protect our bodies from infection and maintaining healthy bones and teeth. It will also improve our body’s ability to repair wounds, as well as defend themselves from bacterial and viral infections.
- It could reduce the severity of flu symptoms, including inflammation and headache. It also controls allergies that can cause fever by reducing the levels of histamine.
- It is a powerful antioxidant and very useful to protect our bodies from free radicals, that cause cell damage and atherosclerosis, which can lead to heart disease and stroke.
- It has been shown to lower blood pressure and reduces the risk of hypertension, and the possibility of serious health problems associated with high blood pressure.
- It helps reduce the level of lead in our blood dramatically. Lead poisoning can cause developmental and behavioral problems, especially in children who live in urban areas of high pollution. This can cause learning disabilities, lower IQ, and poor growth in children. Adults might suffer kidney damage and high blood pressure.
- It can help reduce level of fat, and maintain a healthy weight. Dietitians and nutritionists always recommend vitamin C from fruits and vegetables to the diet, as there is scientific evidence that shows that eating food rich in vitamin C on a regular basis will help you lose weight significantly. Doctors have found that eating fruits rich in vitamin C can reduce insulin, so the body does not store sugar and convert it into fat for use as fuel for the body.
- It helps the body to cope with stress, by reducing the levels of stress hormones or cortisol.
- Our eyes need vitamin C in order to function properly. Lack of vitamin C can cause cataracts, where the eye’s lens becomes increasingly opaque. Cataract cause blurred vision, and could end up with blindness. A high intake of vitamin C will prevent cataracts, as it will increase the amount of blood flow to the eye.
- The antioxidant properties of vitamin C would protect our cells from damage and mutation of DNA, thus protecting us from cancer. This vitamin also helps to regenerate vitamin E (another powerful antioxidant). It does not directly attack the cancer, but support the immune system to fight against cancer.
- Vitamin C is useful for balancing the system in the body due to environmental conditions. This helps the production of dopamine in the nervous system, and supports adrenal function to increase metabolic energy.
- Prevent heart disease by preventing free radicals to ruin artery walls, which can lead to plaque formation. This vitamin also keeps cholesterol from oxidation that can lead to heart disease and stroke. High blood pressure problems can also be cured with this nutrient.
- Diabetic patients can also be helped by Vitamin C, because it will help to regulate blood sugar levels. Vitamin C supplements can lower glucose level in cells and protect your body from various complications of diabetes.