One of the things that mature skin needs most is moisture. The days of oil-absorbing, drying cleansers are behind you, and it’s time to think about hydration and moisturizing. Also, exfoliating can help improve the look of mature skin by removing the top layer of dead skin cells.
As those with mature skin look to commercial cleansers and creams, they may find that the cost is too high and the ingredients not trustworthy. What is all that unpronounceable stuff in the ingredients list, anyway? If you want to save money and use ingredients that are natural, you can make your own homemade facial cleanser for mature skin at home. Here are some suggestions.
1. Moisturizing Cream with Yogurt
This cream works more like a rinse or moisture treatment than a cleanser. Mild enough for daily use, it’s not designed to remove dirt and make-up, but it is an excellent cream for after cleansing. You can use this as a cleanser if you do not use make-up.
Ingredients (refrigerate any leftovers):
* 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (use Greek style yogurt if you want a thicker cream, and full fat if you want extra moisture)
* 1/4 teaspoon raw honey
* 1/4 teaspoon sweet almond oil
Mix all ingredients together well using a fork or whisk. Spread the cream evenly over your face and gently rub it in. Rinse with lukewarm water. This cream tends to leave skin feeling very silky.
2. Sugar Exfoliant
Using an exfoliant can give new life to older skin. However, no exfoliant should not be used more than three times a week to avoid irritation.
Ingredients (refrigerate the unused portion, but use it within two days or so. The sugar will dissolve if you leave it longer than that):
* 2 tablespoons white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon plain yogurt (use full-fat yogurt if you want to increase the moisturizing effect)
* 1/2 teaspoon raw honey
* 1/4 teaspoon sweet almond oil (increase the oil if you need more moisturizer)
Splash face and neck with warm water. With a circular motion, gently rub about 1 teaspoon of the exfoliant into the skin of your face and neck. Avoid the eyes. Rinse well with lukewarm water.
3. Fruit Salad Facial
Okay, so it’s not really a fruit salad. But in this moisturizing treatment, you use the ingredients you might find in a healthy fruit salad.
Ingredients to mash together or put in a blender:
* 1/4 cup chopped avocado
* 1 fresh strawberry
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 ripe banana
* Enough whole milk or cream to make into a creamy consistency.
Apply this thick cream to clean, dry/mature skin and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then rinse with lukewarm water.
4. Exotic Mask; Make a puree of 1/2 banana and 1/2 papaya. Apply to skin. Leave on for at least 20 minutes then rinse with warm water, followed by a natural vegetable oil like Olive oil or Macadamia oil.
5. Mayonnaise Mask; Apply natural mayonnaise, either homemade or from natural foods store. Massage into skin, leave on for 15-20 minutes, rinse thoroughly with warm water.
6. Apricot Mask; Mash the fresh fruit with some olive oil to form a spreadable paste for a good face mask. Massage into skin, leave on for 15-20 minutes, rinse well with warm water.
7. Avocado & Honey Moisturizer Mask; Mash up 2 tablespoons avocado, mix with 2 tablespoons honey and 1 egg yolk. Apply to face, leaving on about 15-20 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Finish with a rinse of the vinegar pH restorer.
8. Creamy Avocado Mask; Mash 1 tablespoon ripe avocado, add 1/2 teaspoon honey and mix. Stir in a little almond meal until creamy. Apply to clean skin, leave on for 15-20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. Finish with a rinse of the vinegar pH restorer.
9. Banana Mask; Mash a banana and spread on face for a soothing, cleansing and moisturizing face mask. Rinse with warm water and finish with a rinse of the vinegar pH restorer..
10. Cool as A Cucumber Yogurt Facial; Puree cucumber in blender then add 1 teaspoon of natural yogurt, apply to face. Leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse well.
11. Fennel Wrinkle Mask; Mix a strong infusion of fennel seed into the equal amount of honey and yogurt to form a paste, add some additional dried fennel herb, mix well, apply to skin.
12. Papaya Skin Natural Peeling Treatment; A fresh mashed papaya applied as a face mask will remove dead, flaky skin.
13. Fruity Natural Face Lift; Mix well in a blender 1 strawberry, 2 red grapes, 1/4 pear, 1/4 apple and 1/4 orange juice with 1 teaspoon of good quality honey. Apply generously the mixture to face. Leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Finish with a rinse of a Toner vinegar pH restorer.
Toner vinegar pH restorer recipe; 1/3 Apple cider vinegar with 2/3 distilled water or rain water boiled and filtered.
For all of these homemade facial cleanser for mature skin recipes, be sure to pat your skin dry gently; don’t rub with a towel.